Motherhood is a gift to be cherished. Sharing thoughts and adventures with our children is what we are about.

Monday 14 March 2011

Going Shopping!

While my darling daughter sleeps I take the opportunity to post my first blog. Yay :)

So, a while back I was out shopping with my daughter Ava, who at the time was about 3 months old; it was just after Christmas, so the shops were still buzzing with excitement and  that Christmasy fragranted sprit that I love so much still filled the air. I had Ava in her pram and was shopping around the baby section of a big chain store, looking for cute pink things that I actually didn't need, when I saw a mom and her daughter walking past. Now if you are a new(ish) mom, you will know that other moms with older children will always crane their necks to have just a peak into your pram to view your baby. Sometimes I am proud and show off my baby, and other times I just make as if I have no clue they are being like owls trying to peek.
This time I noticed and just smiled, pretending to enjoy the attention, when actually I was hoping they would keep it down as Ava had just fallen asleep... The mom smiles at the baby and at me, turns to look at her daughter and says:" Ahh, look at the small, cute Baby. Do you remember when you were that small?" And the five year old just smiles and shakes her head. Now, I'm sorry, but do any of us remember what it was like to be 3months old??? Golly, if we did I think our memories of childhood would be much more disturbed than we think- there is a reason why we dont remember from such a young age.
I just had to smile at the odd question this poor child was being asked... what was she supposed to say? In my head i was thinking: "well, darr, of course she doesn't, do you?"
Often we try to find small talk to create a conversation... and most of the time people do stop me and ask about my daughter or comment how cute she is; and she loves it-being the peoples person she is! And I don't mind- as long as its short and sweet, and I understand they are being friendly. Even children steal a glance and smile. It is great to have that attention- any mom would agree! It's also entertaining, and amusing to say the least, to hear what some parents utter to their children about babies or other small children they encounter... Let's just hope I don't make the same mistake this mother did!
Until next time... Enjoy your TinyTot and remember: Motherhood is a gift to be cherished! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...