Motherhood is a gift to be cherished. Sharing thoughts and adventures with our children is what we are about.

Friday 25 March 2011

...Hormones Shmormones...

Being Pregnant is a miraculous and amazing experience that absolutely nothing else compares to. The Hormonal changes not so much. But it definitely changes your life for one- and your relationship with your partner. My husband told me that he doesn't want to go through those 9 months anytime soon again, whereas I though it was a breeze! I thought I sailed through my pregnancy with not many irrational outbreaks, and without any tumbles of words I would regret afterwards. But he though different! well, somehow I understand: Those midnight rushes to any shop that would still be open for anything vaguely chocolate flavoured... just to keep me happy; that would really take someone to the edge. When he came home from work would eventually arrive with on or two chocolate slabs in tow... just to be on the safe side. Thank goodness I didn't have any strange cravings... that would've brought him over the edge! 
I did realise through my pregnancy that they were not joking when they say we have "mushy brain" during pregnancy. I experienced that first hand: not only do we forget words mid-sentance but also forget things like leaving the garage door-lock keys in the garage; once you have closed and locked it and then realising that the front door of the house is still open and the house keys are on that set of keys that are locked in the garage!!! yes that is true... Anything is possible when you have Pregnancy Mushy Brain Syndrome.
I soon realised that it doesn't leave once you have had your baby. I would still forget things, and realise that my vocabulary was still somewhere in Pregnancy Cyberspace... It was hopeless.
No wait... My low point of this Mushy Brain Syndrome happened not so long ago, 5 months after I had my daughter: I was standing chatting to my mom in her kitchen, while the snackwhich machine was brewing our amazing and not so healthy cheese snackwhich, while my daughter was playing in the lounge quietly on her doughnut/playmat. Now you must understand that when you are a new mom, or a mom in general, you are so tuned in to any noise or peep or sound made, knowing it's your baby and wants your attention. I had my back to the machine when I heard it hissing away, as the cheese was oozing out and melting on the hot surface. without thinking, now remember its the motherly instincts that kick in, so without thinking I turned around and said out loud:" It's ok my lovey, whats the mat...."... Hold a minute, am I talking to the snackwhich machine???
Crazy I know but I actually started talking to the machine thinking git was my daughter, but actually it wasn't. I blame it on the hormones!! Strange things do happen... but that is just one of my crazy stories, and I'm sure many to still follow... What helps me to remember that I am still normal is that I am not the only one!!

Until next time... Enjoy your TiniTot and remember: Motherhood is a gift to be cherished!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...